Aug 26, 2009

Family Time

Antecdotes:
*****************************
About 10:30am , with my eyes feeling weary and Chloe asleep, I told Hannah...

Me- Hannah, my eyes are so tired.
Hannah- Yeah.
Me- I might need to take a little nap on the couch!
Hannah- Yeah... go ahead.
Me- Okay, thanks!

*****************************
Me- Hannah, do you know who is coming over today?
Hannah- Yeah! Sage, Lillian, my kids, your kids....









Lately, we've felt we haven't had much family time so we are trying to rework the way we do things so that can change. It's working well and last week we had a living room picnic at dinner time.

"Baby" got into the hummus when we weren't looking.

On another day, Hannah and I made a trio of strange colored play-do snowmen.


Given some free time, Hannah takes after her Aunt Melody who used to put mismatched items in various containers throughout her bedroom. Maybe she still does that...I'll have to make asurprise visit and see! I used to love to tour her childhood room just to see all her funny little stashes. Here we have a teacup, an alphabet cloth, and a cup of water inside a plastic container ment for Pop-Em toys.

It was finally cool one morning after a rain so I took the girls on a long walk. "Baby" came too, but the other baby named "Baby" had to stay behind as she was already becoming difficult to manage before we left. : ) Here the girls have been put under a spell by the amazing lawn mower next door.

On the way back from our walk...I just thought it was a fun picture.

I close my eyes for one minute! (Different from the nap at the beginning of the post : )

I took Hannah to her first movie! We've held back on this a long time and Dax was surprised when I suggested it last Saturday. Chloe spent her first night alone with Nana and Hannah and I had some time together. We went to see Ice-Age as it was the only kid movie playing at the dollar theater. She was a perfect angel. She was excited by the big screen and ate her first bag of popcorn which she loved and ate the entire time without stopping. About an hour in...and also around the time the popcorn ran out, she said she was ready to leave. We played at the mall play area and then had a Sonic dinner. What a nice time together.

On Sunday, Anna served our first Julia Child meal! Beef bourgignon, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, mashed potatoes, and chocolate cake! Delicious! I did take a picture but the beef was not so photogenic and wouldn't have done the meal justice.

Hannah's hobbies right now are jumping from raised surfaces and disagreeing with everything.
"Don't touch that! Don't do that! Don't sing that! Don't say that! Don't want that!" Here she is ready to launch from the fireplace and for added excitement, wearing my shoes.

Chloe is 10 months old now!!! Even though there are days that feel like they last forever, I wish time would slow down. Soon, the days will be gone when I can freely squeeze their cheeks, smell their hair, kiss their toes, and hold them close with a soft head on my shoulder. Anyway, back from being misty-eyed, here Chloe tries her first puff. She highly dislikes anything solid in her mouth, even if it is a tiny soft noodle or something dissolvable. She gags and gives me hesitant looks like this. I'll wait another few days and try again.
It's so funny- when we saw she was getting chubby early on we thought, "This one's an eater. She can't wait for real food." I'm just looking forward to skipping the formula and baby food at the supermarket!



Hannah thinks it's funny with one of her silly "knowing" grins and nods we get at the dinner table.


Chloe is, however, finally accepting the idea of a cup. She got the gist the other day and now thinks it's pretty fun to sip water. Next step is putting her formula in there, but I have a feeling it might be a slow process just like Hannah's potty training. We had to simply take a break from that for awhile. She was angry at going to the potty and I was spending all day taking her bath and forth while she would deny having to go, then end up wetting herself the next minute! She just wasn't able or willing to let me know it was time to go. After having some potty going playmates over today, it's time to get back on track as she seemed interested again.

On Tuesday, Dax has a different schedule that allows him to come home for a couple of hours in the afternoon. He's now teaching Music Appreciation at the college in addition to his library job.
This week we braved the heat and went to the lake for lunch. Chicken salad wraps, cheese and crackers, applesauce, and cookies were on the menu. We had a nice view too!

It looks like I'm on a boat from this view...if only.

Daddy and daughter.


Mommy and other daughter! I just love having two girls. They are a sweet pair.

She's concentrating hard on this bite.

She looks too grown up to be 2 years old! Dax thinks she looks like a 17 year old blond Native American here. Ha! I'm thinking some kind of glowing elf-like girl from a fantasy story. I think we're getting a little (or a lot) carried away, but sometimes we are just surprised by all this yellow hair and her serious blue-eyed gazes.

We have one of Dax and Hannah like this when she was younger so I wanted one too. She's so big and so tiny at the same time.

They race back from the dock.

Chloe just loves sitting in grass.

And finally, I love this picture because it describes them perfectly. Chloe is up close and personal, having fun and being loud while Hannah concentrates on the program and rather than yelling Move! just bends to look around and makes do. The only time Hannah is concerned about Chloe is when she plays with one of her toys (of course) and when Chloe is near the vacuum (off and sitting in a corner). She is so concerned with Chloe not touching it for safety reasons. She can be protective when she wants to be. She even wanted to hold Chloe today when she bumped her head. She gave her a hug and asked her what was wrong. I hope they grow close.

2 comments:

The Robertson Family said...

I want to have a living room picnic....I bet it was so much fun taking Hannah to see her first movie...I remember taking Kayla and Preston to see the 2nd Ice Age and they were horrible... wouldn't stay seated at all lol. I have a picture of preston with marker all over his legs as well haha. I miss being by Shelby Farms and going for walks with the ducks...is yalls par nearby? That is great that Dax is teaching Music Appreciation..I loved that class!

melody said...

the other day i thought of you and thought you'd think it was funny-- i laughed because i noticed i had a nice variety of things put in that pot i got at the garage sale when we were all at home! coupons, little scrap papers with numbers on them, stamps... haha!

that picture of the plane is neat--
i was thinking about how old hannah looks in that picture where dax was saying she looked like an indian! i am starting to be able to see what she is going to look like as a little girl isntead of a baby!