Jan 3, 2010

A New Year

Once we got home, all I wanted to do was stay here, so all these pictures are from the house.
Dax introduced Hannah to the Wii. She was willing to play a bit of baseball, but her favorite game is choosing what color shirt her Mii will wear. For a two year old, that's where all the action lies.

We've been able to settle down and play with some of her new gifts. She loved cutting play-do with her knife.

I try working on my writing assignments while she plays but she often says, "But I thought you wanted to play with me!" Who can resist that. So I made this....

and this...

...which she added to her "mountain." Dax is teaching her to call her artwork masterpieces and I can say this one fits the bill.

We finally gave them their presents from us! I think it was New Year's Eve. Better late than never.

Chloe got a piggy bank. I learned from another blog that Austrians believe having a pig in your house for the New Year is good luck.

Is there an electronic toy out there that can beat this thing?

So I've been obsessing over organization. We have 3 houses worth of stuff in this small house. With a new baby coming we are struggling to find new places for everything...and for the things that never had a place. I just want a simple, clean, pretty house. I don't care if the kids make a mess, but I get anxious when it's messy all the time because we simply can't put it all away. If everything we own is out on the floor, I can't vacuum or do other cleaning! If I'm trying to clean, I run out of time to actually cook meals and we open various cans or waste our money on take-out. It's just a downward spiral. Some people just chuckle and say I'm dreaming if I want an orderly house. I think not. I know plenty of people that have the lifestyle I want, and it's not just for show. I'm going to work hard and smart to get things in order. I want to play with the kids, cook dinner, be able to go out and actually want to come home! Am I getting too dramatic? On our way back from Tennessee we made a schedule and I'm happy to say things are really getting done. To tame the toy situation, if it doesn't have a place in this closet, it's outta here!

The girls tend to play with nothing at all when they have too many toys in their sights. This way we get out a couple of things at a time and spend some quality time with them. They get much more out of it. All this, by the way, was buried in here....

Aaaaaaaaagh!!! Can you hear the scream from "Psycho" in your head? We used to be able to park our car in here. It became a wasteland for pretty much anything and everything. We don't even know what we own anymore. I couldn't do my crafty things like quilting..scrapbooking...etc. because 1. I couldn't find it 2. I was busy controlling the inside of the house.

No more! After several days late into the evening, I have cleared out 1/3 of the garage so far. This is years of stuff we're talking about. 2 carloads have gone to Goodwill and the garbage men might fine us for all we're going to put on the street tomorrow. This is the craft area. I can get to everything! I've also found things we've needed. For instance, we bought fence slats awhile back for repairs. I found 10 fence slats in the garage. Had no idea they were there!

Baby equipment- all in one place!

Clothes- many bins have been added since this picture. Once the garage and office are cleared, I will see the light at the end of the tunnel. This means, though, that you may not come over for awhile. Our main living area is a transition disaster. I'm willing to let it go for now for the final result. Any words of encouragement are welcome. : )

As for other news, we didn't do a whole lot for New Years. A few plans got canceled due to friends' children falling ill so I took the girls to eat with a couple of their playmates. We went to Snuffers. Weird name, but their food was delicious. That evening, Dax and I played some Wii (I'm hearing that's how a lot of people spent their evening) and ate some snacks. Dax went to bed 10 MINUTES before the countdown so I enjoyed a peaceful New Year on my own and sipped my sparkling grape juice.

I really like Alton Brown's show, but hardly ever catch it. The other night he made something I actually had all the ingredients for already! Tuna croquettes. Considering I hardly get to enjoy cooking and the girls were in bed, I made a late snack and we finished them up for lunch the next day. They were really good!

Well, the girls are at Nana's house for the evening and I better consult my To Do list. Onward with organizing!

2 comments:

The Robertson Family said...

I know how it is with all the toys and clothes everywhere ugh, haha just yesterday Chris and I bought 10 of those grey tubs!!!! hahah It seems like you have done a lot of organizing! :) Masterpieces look awesome! I am anxious to get our Wii!!! lol

melody said...

whoah! all of those boxes! you're making me really want to get organized. i've been trying to conquer my closet for a long time...
i want to play with play-doh, too!