Dec 10, 2010

December Activities

We'll begin with a conversation between Hannah and Chloe the other day, who were shouting across the house at one another.

C- Hannah!!! Hannah!!!
H- Yes?!
C- Yes?!
H- No, I said yes to you!
C-
Oh, okay!!


6 months old! How is this possible?


This is what goes on during my showers. I can see his swing perfectly from the shower and the girls like to read books in the floor and occasionally push him for a few laughs. He's starting to really think his sisters are funny.


Cooler weather is here.


The girls help Dax set up the Nativity scene. They've begged to play with it, but we put it in a high place this year. Last year, the ceramic animals lost various limbs and underwent hot glue surgery. I don't think they could handle another beating.


They also helped put up the tree. We have a new ornament this year, but no hook to hang him with.


So sweet. We let them hang most of the ornaments and of course they all ended up in the front, lower 1 square foot of tree : ) A few days later, after seemingly un-ruinable (is that a word?) santas and snowmen also began missing limbs, the no touching rule had to go into effect.


We have always contemplated going with a more uniform, high-end look for the tree, but 1. we don't want to buy the stuff, and 2. we can never pass up all our childhood favorites. We always enjoy looking back on the memories.


The piano gives us a place for our Christmas village, now.


This sneaky guy was not allowing me to peruse the internet. He's definitely getting interested in grabbing everything he can see.


Last week, Chloe was diagnosed with whooping cough and Dax with bronchitis. So we all got put on antibiotics and I was at home with the girls- no field trips! We made some fun of it. We made snowflakes for our mantle. I kind of forgot how to make them the right shape and they get really antsy anytime I glance at the computer to look something up, so we stuck with the rectangular versions. They thought it was pretty neat.


Hannah has discovered Word on the computer. She always wants to "type my letters."
She spelled her name on her own, so I told her to try another word, and she spelled "pop."


So I'm guilty of having one of those cookie mix kits you get as a gift in the pantry for about 3 years now. I couldn't find an expiration date, so we forged ahead and made little Christmas tree sugar cookies. A fun chance to use their hand painted aprons, too.


They loved rolling the dough so much, it took quite awhile to get to the cookie cutting stage. But they were even more excited about the sprinkles as you can imagine, so it was all plenty of fun. I set them up to watch a movie and eat their warm cookies- is there anything better?


Colin's early Christmas present- a fun rubber mat for his room. He loves scratching on it.


And someone else loved biting on it, until I discovered who it was. I'll give you a hint- she's fiesty and she's 2.


The fun thing (and sometimes overwhelming thing) about having all these little ones is that they get super excited about everything. You should hear the cheers and hurrah's when we get out Colin's bathtub. I usually do this in the evening when they are in bed, but being sick at home makes you pull out anything for entertainment. They love to brush his (non-existent) hair.


Dax has had some musical goings-on lately. He has a few performances with his church male choir Chantus Maximus. I only have video, and I'm waiting until he chooses the clip he likes best. He's also pulled out his trombone from the depths of the garage to play a Mozart Requiem gig. Chloe hates for us to play our instruments, Hannah wants to join in, and Colin is intrigued. He tries to eat the trombone.


Chloe is suddenly showing interest in the potty, so we brought out the mini-seat for her. She absolutely loves sitting there, but no "results" yet. In the meantime, Hannah is working on making it through the night in order to give up the pull-ups. She's done great so far. Won't they be so happy I made these posts when they are teenagers?


Uh-oh. I was cooking dinner when I heard, "Aaaagh!" She said she was trying to "get that thing" so I'm not sure what was going on or how she ended up back there. So much for putting the breakable ornaments high in the tree. I love the guilty look, here! I laughed and tried to make light of it for her, but she took it pretty seriously. My aunt suggested this be our Christmas card this year. If I hadn't ordered the cards already, this would have been great! We could have a tradition of Christmas mishap cards.



But wait a minute! The other morning, I was awoken by more cries from the tree. This time it was Chloe who did the deed. We now realize that it's not really all their fault. The bottom of the tree does not have it's longest branches on the back side (so we can fit the tree in the corner) so it's pretty imbalanced already. In the meantime, another ornament was sacrificed.


December 6 marks the feast day of St. Nicholas. It's tradition in many countries to leave out your shoes and wake up to have them filled with treats. I know one family who wakes up to new shoes that morning. Hannah and Chloe picked out their St. Nicholas shoes, put them in "time out" according to Hannah, and Dax filled them with chocolate marshmallow santas and jingle bell animal ornaments.


A fun morning surprise!


"What's this?" He loves his reindeer bell. I kept calling it a moose.


There are certain scenes I've had in my head my whole life of family moments yet to come.
When I see an opportunity to create one, I try to jump on it...and it always turns out slightly different than expected...as expected : ) Since our kids go to bed pretty early, we usually don't watch any tv or movies together. I've always envisioned us all curled up on the couch together in the dark with our popcorn watching Polar Express. All went as planned the other evening...except they didn't want to sit with us!!


Having the only popcorn left in the room brought them my way in the end. : )


Colin is starting to sit up, but after getting lots of laughs from Chloe, he would rather do the toppling.


A few successful seconds!


He loves his frozen teething rings.


And his big sister. That's her "cheese" face.


Chloe grades college finals, and unhappy with the low scores, flings them to the floor.


Cheese!!!

1 comment:

melody said...

i love the comfy movie/dark and christmas lights/popcorn picture.

haha-- poor hannah and the tree!

and i like the candy in the shoes- it seems like a fun thing. i want to wake up to candy in my shoes!