Jun 3, 2011

Family Fun


Waking up to crazy things the kids have done does not count as fun now, but I'm sure I'll remember it as such later. : ) Chloe and Hannah were covered in green marker one morning- and they have been really responsible with them until now. Then I saw Colin had marker behind his right ear, too! So no more markers for awhile, especially when I'm sleeping.


Again, not family fun, but family time nonetheless. With tornadoes dropping all over the place last week, we ended up in the tub as a family twice one night. It was extremely uncomfortable since we don't have a garden tub! In the meantime, Hannah got an education about storms and sirens since ours is two doors down. I told her not to worry. Only "special storms" have tornadoes, and those don't come very often. My mistake, because then she was very concerned with "special storms" for a couple of days. It turned out all the sirens weren't for nothing. Dax knew a few people who saw a tornado. A family from church saw the same one. And one of my students watched one from her back yard. Thankfully, we were all safe, and there were some beautiful clouds left over.





Another morning, Hannah brought this to me while I was still asleep. She was laughing and laughing. Her Cinderella doll donated her dress to the stuffed lamb, and Hannah was pretty inventive with how to put it on.


"Little man" or otherwise known around here as "No sir!" is moving all over the place, getting into everything. He's using everything he can find as a prop to stand. No letting go yet.


One of his favorite toys.


Dax surprised the kids with a trip to Chuck E. Cheese the other night. Chloe has been talking about it ever since the party. The other day she said, "Hannah says Chuck E. Cheese is a rat! But he's not. He's a mouse!" She said this with a pouty little face and furrowed brow.










We had a great time and tried to earn lots of tickets. We had one token left, and I thought I would really rack up on tickets by returning to the basketball hoop since I had done well a few minutes earlier. I missed almost every shot! We ended up with a few little toys the girls picked out.


It's birthday season! We seem to have a lot of friends with birthdays around this time of year. Lillian and Mikey always throw a great party : ) As people were arriving, Jess turned on her teacher mode and read some educational books.


While Colin poked all the kids from behind.


The first swim of the season! Chloe was so excited for the swim portion of the party.


Lots of choices here!


Colin's first time in a pool.


And the monster slide was on the other side of the yard. I didn't bring a suit since I didn't know that would be there. Most of the dads jumped right in and didn't care to get wet, so Hannah hitched several rides!


One dad takes his daughter down in a fun way.


I was finally convinced to go ahead and get wet once Chloe asked with a sweet face!


Jessica and I go together.


Maybe not the best idea since I slammed into with my bony knees!


When we returned home, there was a great surprise for the girls!! I was noticing the slow disintegration of the cardboard dollhouse we made. It was sagging, bent over, and I had never really papered the other walls like I promised. It was also taking up a ton of space in their room. So I asked a friend from church who sometimes watches the girls if she had any dollhouse plans with which I could put something together from real wood. She's a huge miniature collector- her whole house is full! She said she had something in mind. But then a friend of hers let her know about a house for sale. She knew it was too much for us to purchase, and the friend just decided to donate it to the girls!! Long story, I know, but this was so generous. And it is the exact type of dollhouse I was thinking about. And it came with lots of furniture!


Colin is very interested as usual.


Anyway, I have great plans to decorate this house for them, but I'm so concerned about doing it well, I haven't started. Hmm- seems to be the trend for me.


On Memorial Day we attended the annual church picnic. They had a little corner set up for the little ones.


Butterfly face paint. Later she was very upset when it washed away. "My butterfly!!!" she cried.


We convinced Hannah ahead of time that a strawberry would be a good idea. Otherwise I knew should would choose the whole face paint idea, and we had somewhere else to go that day!


That's a bounce house smile.


She was so bounced out, she fell asleep in the swing in the middle of the teen hangout! There were a lot more around her. It was pretty funny.


We spent the rest of the day at the Finley household, so more swimming and more great food.


For the next couple of days, we stayed home and were a bit under the weather. Thursday came our monthly potluck dinner with the Long and Dykes families. We were in charge of dessert, but as I couldn't breathe and therefore couldn't taste, it didn't turn out too well.. so we made a last minute run to the store. We always have a great time at the potlucks and I keep forgetting my camera. The girls headed straight for the dress up bin, and hopefully someone else got a good picture, but Hannah came out in the craziest outfit yet! Cowgirl hat, shirtless with a few feather boas, and a glittery red tutu- sans pants, and high heels. After burgers, Gary and little Isaia played us a song on guitar and baby drum set. Isaia was amazing with the beat, inserting little solos, and the works! None of us could believe it!! He's just turning 3. We promoted putting him on YouTube where maybe Ellen could spot him for her show. Then the guys settled down to watch the Mavs game and us women played charades, which I had actually never played while the husbands fed us movie titles. The best one was "The Eggplant Who Ate Chicago" at least I think that was it. Anyway, I hope a few pictures float my way because they were really great.


And to close it all off, another shot of our mischievous boy taking after his Aunt Melody.


After he was reprimanded (and he definitely knows the word "no" because he always gives us a certain fake sad face) he kept checking on me as I cleaned the kitchen. I would see a little hand reach out and then pull back.

I know a few posts ago, I said I included videos, but they didn't post for some reason. Well, I still have those clips and more, as well as several kid quotes, which have mostly been posted on Facebook already, but I hope to repost all of that soon. Until next time!

No comments: