Nov 20, 2011

In With the New


Dax went to Seattle for a week at the beginning of the month. That was a whole week. Well, really 5 days.
Nana was so great to watch the kids so I could teach. Other than that, I was challenged to be a single parent for most of the week. Unfortunately, the first day, all the kids got sick and the water heater burst! Other friends were sick, too, so school and any other fun plans we had were completely canceled. I said lots of prayers for patience, and it certainly helped. We had a peaceful week. But by Friday, I had great sympathy for anyone who tries to raise children all on their own. : ) Dax had a great time at his All American Council and went to lots and lots of meetings.


Here he is in front of the original Starbucks. Of course I had to jab at him a bit and ask him why he wanted his picture in front of this station wagon.


He took this one for me- cheese. haha


The local high school put on a production of Winnie the Pooh, so the girls and I met up with friends and went. Hannah rejected sitting with us at first and headed for the front row. She got lonely soon, though, and joined us again. The show was cute, and besides an awful lot of dialogue verses action, I was proud the girls payed attention and we very quiet.


I really liked the homemade costumes. It was cute how they managed to make humans
look like animals with just a few touches of makeup and props. This was Roo.
Don't you love the girls' identical "shy but excited" pose?


And here's rabbit. All the students did a great job.


Since my painting class has been over, I thought I'd try a step by step instruction book from the library. This was the little scene. Let me just say the picture in the book looks worlds better, but I did learn a few little techniques I need to practice. I also learned that the right tools will certainly make more of a difference. I need a couple of smaller and larger brushes at some point.


Hannah had "Hilarious Hair" day at school since the letter of the week was H. This was our chance to use up more of that blue hair spray!


This little guy gets into anything and everything. Apparently cereal cannot be enjoyed in a bowl. This was my mistake since I was running behind trying to get everyone ready for school. Otherwise he would have been in a high chair.


After particularly long days, I'm ready for them to watch a movie or show. They usually pick Backyardigans.
And popcorn is their very favorite snack.



You can't tell from this picture, but we got new carpet!!!! We've waited so long for this and it looks really nice. Rather than pay extra, Dax had a friend help him move furniture and dispose of the old stuff. I came home that night to do lots of paint touchups to the room- also been waiting forever to do that. Here I am getting into the ice cream by whatever means necessary.
I also wanted much lighter curtains than we've always had. I searched about 15-20 places and didn't find what I wanted, but there, crumpled in the floor of Goodwill was a $3 panel I thought was perfect- nice and simple. I went home, cut it in two, hemmed the sides and bottom and voila! After washing them, I was so anxious to hang them up I didn't iron them. I hope it doesn't take another 5 years for me to get around to that. The good news is that a lady bought our old curtains at a garage sale (which were still very nice) and said she was going to redecorate her whole house around them- wow!


While looking for curtains at the mall, we found a letter writing station to Santa. The girls didn't really get it, but that's okay. Chloe told Santa she liked Tinkerbell. I reminded her she already had Tinkerbell, and she said, "Oh, yeah!" Hannah wrote something about Barbie : ) The mailbox was actually real and required stamps- um- which I never ever just have on me. We just stuck them in there anyway because let's face it- who knows where they are really going?



It's always fun to see the stores' Christmas decorations, but Sears was pretty low on the list- this was pretty much it!


Running from the camera. And he does have 2 boy cups, but always steals the girls' instead.



Also something new, I finished Colin's quilt! I went with a really basic X this time because I didn't want to wait months for it to be finished.


I also painted the top canvas blue to match the bottom. A couple of other little things and I'll call his room finished.


I sat down for a split second for some Ipad time to myself and they drag out the food. Well, Colin drags it out because like I said, he's into everything. I'm trying to steer him in the right direction, so rather than scolding him out of the trash can constantly, he gets to use it on better terms by throwing his diapers away. He loooves to do that. And rather than having him slam doors and get in the way of the dishwasher, dryer, etc. he knows it's his job to close all doors when I tell him it's time. He always claps for himself. He's also finally said "Mama!"


You never know when your toy hamster will lodge himself in your hair.

No comments: